Sunday, July 5, 2009

Harvest Starting

The garden harvest always seems to start slowly. Maybe that's because I'm impatient (well, it must be). Still, things do seem to be shaping up.

I picked the first large zucchini of the season. For some reason, I've been getting little zucchini that don't grow, so I harvest them when they are about 2" long. They are quite edible, but I was getting worried. he plants look very healthy.

Here's a zucchini plant. The plant looks great, even if the fruit is small:

I'm also starting to get cucumbers. These are small, and I'm not sure how large this variety is supposed to grow. They also seem to grow a bit more slowly than I remember from the past, but that may be one of the compromises necessary to avoid cucumber wilt. (I think it's still a bit too early to declare victory, even if I see no signs of any problems yet.)

Some tomatoes are starting to turn red as well. There are lots of green tomatoes on the vines.

Here's a view of one side of the garden.

Those are the paste tomatoes on the right, cucumbers in the middle, and sunflowers on the left. You can see an ABD in the back--not that it did much good this year. I've had to give up the rest of the blueberries. Some raspberries are coming in, however, and the birds don't seem to care for them. Maybe I should pull out the blueberries and let the raspberries take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment