Thursday, July 30, 2009

Some crops, and a pest

Ever wonder what happens if you don't pick cucumbers before they ripen? Here's the picture:


They are causalities of the vacation. Unfortunately, cucumber production may be shutting down. It looks like the plants are suffering from cucumber wilt, although they held on longer than in the past. The zucchini, on the other hand, are going great. So I guess I will have to think of another strategy for the cucumbers next year.

Meanwhile, my surprise crop hsa succeeded. Here's a picture:


These are spoon tomatoes. As you can see, they are tiny versions of the usual type. And I am getting lots (from two plants), although that doesn't translate into volume. I'm thinking you could put them into soup instead of soup nuts.

But I saw something I didn't want to see in the garden. A nasty, annoying, ugly, evil thing. Yes, a rabbit got into the garden. I chased it away---it got in through a hole in the fencing that I should be able to fix. And, as it happens, there is nothing a rabbit would like in the garden right now--I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment