Monday, June 29, 2009

Update

Argh! A few days ago I saw two birds in the blueberry bushes. I chased them away, but a few minutes later I saw a bird perched almost upside down in a bush, and I think that that's all for the blueberries this year. I'm guessing that I've lost about 1/3 to 1/2 the possible berries, since I know I won't get any more. The birds are amazing at swooping down on the berries just as they ripen.

However, I dug up 20 heads of garlic on Sunday. They seem a little smaller than usual, and I wonder if I need to fertilize before planting. Or maybe it's just the genetics. This garlic is decended from a prize-winning head that was quite large, but maybe the heads revert to the mean size over time.

I also dug up an onion. The tops are starting to fall over, which is the sign that they are ready. Well, a few tops have fallen over. I figure I can wait to harvest most of them, although I'll dig up onions on an as-needed basis for a while.

Some things are beginning to show up. One small cucumber (but more on the way), a couple of tiny zucchini since they didn't seem likely to grow. There should be lots of both cucumbers and zucchini in a couple of weeks.

I have an interesting volunteer from last year's CSA. I left the fall hard squash that we used to decorate our Succah out by a tree. Sure enough, there is a squash plant growing there. No flowers, though. Whether I can get an ornamental squash will remain mystery for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment