Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Update (Herbs, Today)

The Farmers' Market yielded the expected basil, and also some parsley and rosemary. Thank you, DB and HB! The rosemary is a "tender perennial" which in my experience means that it will last two or three years, but what do I know. I planted the herbs today, but held off on the cucumbers, watermelon and peppers since it is still kind of chilly at night. I'll probably get everything planted on Friday.

And I picked a bowlful of dill. Here I had thought it hadn't reseeded, but it just took a little while. Now I have lots of plants about 6" tall, many growing together. So I thinned them a bit and put the results in a freezer bag labeled "baby dill." I seem to remember that dill is really only available in the spring/early summer, and by July the leaves go away and it blossoms. Last year I didn't realize the schedule and so missed out on freezing dill for future use.

I also got a small head of lettuce that decided to wait a year to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment