Friday, May 22, 2009

Almost Finished

Usually I buy most of my plants and then plant them in one burst. This year is different. I've been gradually adding plants over the past month (and preparing for longer). Today I put in the cucumbers, peppers, and watermelon. All that is left are the sunflowers. I want to wait until they get a bit larger since something eats the small plants. That's the reason I don't plant the seeds directly.

Here is a picture of the garden all planted:



I'm using straw to keep the weeds down. Don't know if it will work, and it is a poor substitute for daughters.

Here is a picture from another angle. I put in the supports for the tomatoes and cucumbers already. I own a wide variety of different types of cages, none of which really work properly.





























The garden at this stage always seems so controlled and perfect. If only it would stay this way, all hope and neatness, little plants still to prove their potential or lack of potential. It seems very exciting. Not long from now I know that the plants will be running wild, the weeds will be taking over, and I'll wonder how the critters can figure out how to find the good stuff to eat, what little seems to actually grow. But, for now, I can dream of this level or order and control in the garden all summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment