Sunday, July 28, 2013

Planting peas is bittersweet

I realized that we are now in the time period for planting fall peas, so I got out the trellis, planted the little dried up pea seeds. It felt just a little sad because it means that we've reached the stage where we are looking at the fall and the end of the garden. Even though we've just begun to get the tomatoes,we know what the future has in store for us. 

On a more cheerful note, it looks like at least some of the zucchini plants survived the squash borer. Also, I learned something new--squash can be slightly pregnant. What the linked article doesn't tell is how to get the pollinators to the plants. We have plenty of bees---I see them around the raspberry bushes all the time, and we have no problem getting raspberries. So why don't the bees find the squash flowers? Maybe I should erect a sign?

No comments:

Post a Comment