Saturday, July 20, 2013

Onions and the year's tomato rant

The onions had fallen down (mostly, but what's with the 5% or so with flowers?) So it was time to pull them up.

That's about 60 onions, probably my best year ever. We'll see how well I can dry them. For the next two weeks, I hope for no or little rain.

Meanwhile, I was getting antsy about the tomatoes. This happens every year. The tomato flowers appear, the fruit sets...and I wait for what seems like far too long. This year was definitely longer than usual. I even checked my garden records, and, sure enough, the early tomatoes are usually ripening by early July. So I was getting a bit annoyed--I saw beautiful fruit set on all eight plants, but all green and appearing to stay that way. It was time for a rant on the blog.

Then I went out this evening, and,  yes, they are ripening. Oddly enough, the one early tomato I planted is only just starting to ripen, along with other varieties, while a Krim's Black I picked up at Home Depot because I had trouble starting plants looks almost ready to pick. But the reddening fruit just kind of took the wind out of my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment