Monday, June 10, 2013

Taking stock

Spring things are finishing up. So here's what I got:

The lettuce is coming in. There is too much of it, despite my best efforts. Here's a nice head:


I tried planting some in April, and I do see small lettuce plants. I don't know how well these will do once it gets hot.

I got some swiss chard and spinach. But the plants---especially the spinach---didn't grow as much I thought they might. I got less than half a pound of spinach from a five foot row...didn't really seem very much. Still, it was nice to grow it.


And in this case I picked the outer leaves. It looks like the plants are now growing new leaves, so this might not be the end.

The kale hasn't grown as much as it did in years past. Hoping for the first harvest next week. Maybe thinning out and hotter weather will help.

Kholrabis are coming along just fine, thank you. Looking forward to a few of them very soon.

Strawberries did produce, for about a week at a rate of almost 1 quart per day. I am afraid I may have lost most of the end of the harvest to the torrential rains starting this weekend. But I see a few blueberries...no birds yet.

The broccoli rabi was a complete bust.

Now it's time to turn to the tomatoes (plants are starting to grow), cucumbers (still very small), squash (also very small) and similar things. What we mainly need is some sunny weather.

1 comment:

  1. My tomatoes seem to be doing pretty well so far - I'm a little worried about the cucumbers rotting with all this rain. Maybe I'll try baking soda spray, prophylacticly.

    ReplyDelete