Wednesday, August 26, 2009

When The Gardener is Away, the Garden Grows

Another trip, and, although I was able to leave a Deputy for a few days, the garden managed without my care for about a week. Surprisingly, the plants don't really need me at this point. They produced cucumbers (which all got too big, very sad), zucchini, and lots and lots of tomatoes. In fact, I seem to have met my tomato goal. I have so many that I didn't really worry about the dozen or so that had started rotting by the time I got back. I just chucked them in the compost. There are plenty more right now.

And while we were away, the raspberries came in with a bang. Here's the result, along with a little watermelon:


That's 11 ounces of raspberries, which is kind of a record. There are plenty more. Did I mention I like raspberries? Plus they are easy to grow, and the birds don't seem interested in them.

The watermelon is small (was small, I should say, as it was enjoyed by me and my deputy). I have another like it and one more larger one. Why do I get so few watermelons?

The sunflowers have also come out, and, in some cases, already gone to seed. I didn't really get the spectacular set of sunflowers I wanted, maybe because of the type. Also, a couple have toppled over. It looks like the birds have discovered them, so I'm not sure whether I will get any seeds. Two years ago the birds didn't touch the sunflowers. What changed?

I've planted beans where I had the garlic, as much for the beneficial impact on the soil as for the beans themselves---although we've been enjoying them. I think I will also try fall peas. Haven't had a lot of luck with fall crops in the past, but maybe this year will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment