Sunday, March 17, 2013

Starting another season

Had some snow on a trip to New York a week ago Friday (March 8) and I'm hoping that's it for winter. Because I've started planting. The garden is relatively weed-free, thanks to my new toy, the cultivator.

Here's a view of the garden. Not much to see, but there is garlic over on the left-hand side, if you look carefully.

I've already put in some early plants:

Swiss chard
Broccolini
Spinach
Lettuce
Kale
Kholrabi

The spinach and lettuce are in a row that will eventually go to cucumbers and squash--hoping the leaf vegetables are ready early enough. Swiss chard and broccolini  are  new this year.

I also put in the onions. This year I'm trying them from plants.

I assume the idea is that they will awaken from dormancy when they get wet. I watered them, and am now waiting for rain. It was supposed to rain this weekend. What happened?


No comments:

Post a Comment