Sunday, September 13, 2009

It's Still Summer. Isn't It? Isn't It?

I guess it really is fall. The weather has turned colder, still warm but not really warm enough for most of the plants in the garden. I notice that the tomatoes don't turn ripe as quickly, and the beans don't seem to have produced anything in over a week. I am still getting raspberries (not quite as many, but enough). However, I can see the end of the year coming.

The birds ate all the sunflower seeds. The empty heads hang down from the plants, some of which are 6-7 feet high. I will cut these down when it is time to build our sukkah.

I pulled up the cucumber plants, which were mostly dead. So much for "County Fair." Next year I may try planting at different times, so that some of the plants will go in after the beetles are active.

It was a great year for basil. I've made pesto a couple of times, a pesto-infused chicken dish, and I dried some for the winter. There's still plenty more. Also a lot of sage.

I'm still getting tomatoes, however. Also some interesting squash.


These are all from one plant. I left the ornamental squash we got from the CSA last year near a maple tree, and now I have a huge squash plant producing these things. So I guess our Sukkah theme will be squash! Too bad I can't figure out how to eat them.

Now I have to plan the endgame. Actually, what I have to plan is planting the garlic. Which is really staring to think about next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment